The Corcoran Gallery is built mostly of marble.
The Corcoran Gallery is marble with a granite base. It was built in 1879 and enlarged in 1927. Ornate carvings around the roof, doors, and windows have blackened crusts of gypsum, as do parts of the marble pedestals supporting the bronze lions at the front door. The marble bases also have inclusions that stand out above the surrounding calcite, which has been dissolved away.
|Marble bases for bronze lions outside the entrance to the Corcoran Gallery have feldspar inclusions that stand in relief compared to the roughened surrounding calcite.|
Map of All Sites on the Tour [102 K image]