34 Name: John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts
Location: New Hampshire Avenue at Rock Creek Parkway, NW
Building Stones: Carrara marble from Italy
Remarks: The opening of the Kennedy Center in 1971 fulfilled the dream of President George Washington, who proposed a national cultural center for the Nation's capital. The Carrara marble was a gift from Italy to honor the memory of President Kennedy. Gifts from other nations include crystal chandeliers from Austria, Ireland, Norway, and Sweden.
35 Name: Vietnam Veterans Memorial
Location: Constitution Gardens, between Constitution Avenue and the Reflecting Pool
Building Stone: Black granite quarried near Bangalore, India; cut and fabricated in Barre, Vermont; and sandblasted in Memphis, Tennessee
Remarks: A competition was held to select the design for this memorial to men and women who served during the Vietnam War; the winning design was created by Maya Ying Lin, a 21-year-old architecture student at Yale University. The memorial was dedicated in 1982. In 1984, an American flag and a sculpture showing three servicemen were added to the memorial. In 1993, the Vietnam Women's Memorial was added to represent the work of the women veterans.
36 Name: Federal Reserve Building
Location: Constitution Avenue, between 20th and 21st Streets NW
Building Stones: Exterior, Georgia marble; foundation, Massachusetts granite; fountains, Pennsylvania black diabase
Remarks: The Federal Reserve System was established in 1913 to serve as the central banking system of the United States. The building was designed by Paul P. Cret, who was also one of the designers of the Pan American Union Building, and construction began in 1936 in the wave of construction that followed the Depression.
37 Name: Department of the Interior Building
Location: C Street between 18th and 19th Streets NW
Building Stones: Foundation and steps, Milford, Mass., granite; exterior, Indiana limestone; interior, Tennessee marble
Remarks: The Department of the Interior has responsibility for most of our nationally owned public lands and natural resources; the U.S. Geological Survey is one of its bureaus. The building hallways contain outstanding examples of Depression-era paintings, murals, frescoes, and relief sculptures commissioned by the Work Projects Administration.
38 Name: General Services Administration Building
Location: F Street between 18th and 19th Streets NW
Building Stones: Exterior, Indiana limestone; interior, Maryland marble
Remarks: This building, completed in 1917, was the first Federal Government building to use Indiana limestone, which has become one of the most popular building stones of Washington. The original design called for an exterior of brick, but the Secretary of the Treasury changed the specifications to give the building a more formal appearance.
39 Name: Renwick Gallery
Location: 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Building Stones: Exterior, brick and Belleville, N.J., sandstone, replaced in part with synthetic stone in 1970
Remarks: Designed by James Renwick and completed in 1859, this building was originally constructed by William Corcoran to house his art collection. The government took possession of the building during the Civil War. It is now part of the Smithsonian Institution and houses displays of the decorative arts and crafts and changing exhibits of 20th century American art.
This page is https://pubs.usgs.gov/stones/stops34-39.html
Maintained by Publications Services
Last revised 1-14-99 (krw)