40 Name: Executive Office Building (Old State-War-Navy Building)
Location: 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Building Stones: Exterior, granite from Virginia, Maine, and Massachusetts; subbasement, Maryland sandstone
Remarks: When this building was completed in 1888, it was the largest office building in the world. Its mansard roof, its 900 Doric columns, and its exuberant decorations show the influence of the Beaux Arts style of architecture.
41 Name: White House
Location: 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Building Stones: Exterior, Virginia Aquia Creek sandstone refinished with Maryland marble and other marbles; fence base, north side, Montgomery County, Maryland crystalline rocks; fence capping, Aquia Creek sandstone
Remarks: Designed by James Hoban and begun in 1792, the White House was the first public building to be erected in Washington. It was first occupied in 1800 by President and Mrs. John Adams; after being burned by the British in 1814, it was rebuilt and reoccupied by 1818. The interior was completely rebuilt in 1948-52 to repair structural weaknesses.
42 Name: Treasury Building
Location: 15th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Building Stones: Exterior, the original part along 15th Street was originally built of Virginia Aquia Creek sandstone, replaced in large part by Dix Island, Maine, granite; remainder, Dix Island and Milford, Mass., granite; foundation, Maryland crystalline rocks. Patio, Seneca, Md., red sandstone; Catskill, N.Y., green sandstone; and concrete
Remarks: The present building is the third one on this site to house the Treasury Department; two earlier buildings were destroyed by fires. An example of Greek Revival style, it was begun in 1836 and completed 30 years later.
This page is https://pubs.usgs.gov/stones/stops40-42.html
Maintained by Publications Services
Last revised 1-14-99 (krw)