USGS

A Preliminary Assessment of Mouflon Abundance at the Kahuku Unit of Hawaii Volcanoes National Park

Department of the Interior

U.S. Geological Survey

Open-File Report 2006-1193

 

By Steven C. Hess, Ben Kawakami Jr., David Okita, and Keola Medeiros

 

This report is also available as a pdf.

 


Abstract

Hawaii Volcanoes National Park (HAVO) recently acquired the 115,653 acre Kahuku Ranch unit adjacent to the existing Mauna Loa section of HAVO. Kahuku contains numerous exceptional natural resources including many federally listed threatened and endangered species. An apparently large and growing population of alien mouflon sheep (Ovis gmelini musimon), however, threatens sensitive native plants and forest bird habitats. Population composition and abundance estimates were urgently needed to determine the magnitude of resources required to manage this species and justify costs. We surveyed 32,433 acres from helicopter over 2 days in November 2004 during breeding to determine the abundance and population structure. We estimated that there were more than 2,586 ± 705 (90% CI) mouflon at Kahuku. Overall, group sizes averaged 7.8 and the sex ratio was 1:2.4 rams:ewes, but approximately 44% of the population was concentrated in forested areas near ranching operations where group sizes averaged >15 and the sex ratio was 1:3.9 rams:ewes. The remaining 56% of the population occurred widely dispersed in subalpine shrubland and barren lava flows. Abundance estimates are likely to be conservative because they were not adjusted for detection probability. Ground-based surveys of lambs suggest upper biological limit to annual population increase of 33.1% under existing environmental conditions. Historical information used to calculate population trends indicated the apparent rate of population increase to be 21.1%. In the absence of removals, the population increment for 2004-2005, would be more than 546-856, and the population doubling time with these growth rates is 3-4 years.

Contents

Abstract

Introduction

Study Area

Methods

Aerial Survey

Lamb Surveys

Historical Population Trends

Results

Aerial Survey

Lamb Surveys

Historical Population Trends

Discussion

Acknowledgments

References Cited

Appendix I. Kahuku Ranch Monthly Report for June & July 1968

Appendix II. Excerpt from Kahuku Ranch Annual Summary of Operations 1968

Appendix III. Kahuku Ranch Monthly Report for August 1974

Appendix IV. Memo to Trustees of Damon Estate dated 17 August 1993

Appendix V. Letter enclosed with O'Gara's (1994) Report to Trustees of the Damon Estate concerning mouflon on the Kahuku Ranch



For sale by

 

U.S. Geological Survey,

Information Services
Box 25286, Denver Federal Center
Denver, CO 80225

 

For more information about the USGS and its products:
Telephone: 1-888-ASK-USGS

World Wide Web: http://www.usgs.gov/

 

For more information about USGS activities in Hawaii, visit the USGS Pacific Island Ecosystems Reaserch Center home page.

 

Any use of trade, product, or firm names in this publication is for descriptive purposes only and does not imply endorsement by the U.S. Government.Although this report is in the public domain, permission must be secured from the individual copyright owners to reproduce any copyrighted materials contained within this report.

 

 


Suggested citation:

 

Hess S., Kawakami, B. Jr., Okita, D., and Medeiros, K., 2006, A Preliminary Assessment of Mouflon Abundance at the Kahuku Unit of Hawaii Volcanoes National Park: U.S. Geological Survey Open File Report 2006-1193, 22 p.

 

This report is available online in Portable Document Format (PDF). If you do not have the Adobe Acrobat PDF Reader, it is available for free download from Adobe Systems Incorporated.

 

Download the text of the report (PDF, 1.6 MB)

 

Document Accessibility: Adobe Systems Incorporated has information about PDFs and the visually impaired. This information provides tools to help make PDF files accessible. These tools convert Adobe PDF documents into HTML or ASCII text, which then can be read by a number of common screen-reading programs that synthesize text as audible speech. In addition, an accessible version of Acrobat Reader 6.0 for Windows (English only), which contains support for screen readers, is available. These tools and the accessible reader may be obtained free from Adobe at Adobe Access.

 

 

 

Top



U.S. Department of the Interior, U.S. Geological Survey
Persistent URL:
Page Contact Information: Contact USGS
Last modified: Saturday, January 12 2013, 10:00:16 PM
FirstGov button  Take Pride in America button