Geology & mineralogy of the Old Mine Park area Trumbull Connecticut

By: , and 



Old Mine Park, in the northern Trumbull area (also known as Long Hill) of southwestern Connecticut, is a recreation area encompassing the mineral-rich hill of “Saganawamps” and owned by the Town of Trumbull. Most of its 72 acres are wooded, rocky and undeveloped but it is surrounded by dense infrastructure and transportation, residential, retail, and commercial development (Figure 1). It preserves the first tungsten mine operated east of the Mississippi and the first topaz locality identified in the USA (Hitchcock and Silliman, 1825), as well as the type locality for the mineral tungstite (WO3·H2O). Hiking and biking trails cross the property and continue beyond the park along the former New Haven railroad line that parallels the Pequonnock River, which flows through the southern part of the park. Access is from the south via Old Mine Road, or from the north via Corporate Drive. During the mining era and for many decades after its creation the park was a famous source of mineral specimens. In 2016 the Trumbull Parks and Recreation Commission suspended collecting of any kind.

Study Area

Publication type Book
Publication Subtype Monograph
Title Geology & mineralogy of the Old Mine Park area Trumbull Connecticut
Year Published 2022
Language English
Publisher State Geological and Natural History Survey of Connecticut, Department of Energy and Environmental Protection in cooperation with The Geological Society of Connecticut
Contributing office(s) Florence Bascom Geoscience Center
Description 76 p.
Country United States
State Connecticut
City Trumbull
Other Geospatial Old Mine Park area
Google Analytic Metrics Metrics page
Additional publication details