Annual runoff in the United States

Circular 52



The water that drains from the land into creeks and rivers is called runoff. Supplying many of our basic human needs for water, runoff occurs chiefly as a residual of rainfall after Nature’s take – that is, after the persistent demands of evaporation from land and transpiration from vegetation have been supplied.

Publication type Report
Publication Subtype USGS Numbered Series
Title Annual runoff in the United States
Series title Circular
Series number 52
DOI 10.3133/cir52
Year Published 1949
Language English
Publisher U.S. Geological Survey
Publisher location Washington, D.C.
Contributing office(s) Utah Water Science Center
Description Report: 14 p.; Plate 1: 23.50 x 16.25 inches
Country United States
Google Analytic Metrics Metrics page
Additional publication details