Graphite deposits on the north side of the Kigluaik Mountains, Seward Peninsula, Alaska
The graphite deposits on the north side of the Kigluaik Mountains have been known for many years, and have yielded a small quantity of flake graphite, but they have been only slightly developed. The author spent 4 days of June 1943 in company with Mr. H. E. Heide, mining engineer of the Bureau of Mines, and Mr. Norman Tweet, part owner of one of the properties. Acknowledgment is due Mr. John Read and the Lomen Commercial Company for many favors rendered in connection with the investigation. The chemical analyses in this report were made by F. S. Grimaldi, of the Geological Survey.
The deposits were examined many years ago by Harrington 1/ who discussed the general geology and described the developments up to the date of'his examination. Much of the history of the district given below is taken from his report.
According to Harrington, the first claims were staked in 1900. Two principal groups of claims were worked, those of the Uncle Sam Alaska Mining Syndicate and those of the Alaska Graphite Mining Company.
Harrington records that the claims of the Alaska Graphite Mining Company were staked in part in 1905 and in part in 1915 or 1916. A production of 35 tons picked from talus was reported for 1907. According to Mertie, 2/ the production in 1916 was about 100 tons, which according to Harrington, was shipped in 1917, together with several tons mined from an open cut in that year.
In 1912, according to Mertie, shipments totalling 130 tons of graphite were made by the Uncle Sam. Alaska Mining Syndicate, and 300 tons were ready for shipment in 1916. Harrington, who visited the area in 1917, reported that no shipments were made in that year by that company.
No records of subsequent production have been found. The properties apparently lay dormant until the summer of 1943, when renewed interest was expressed in the restaking of claims.
Graphite deposits are widespread in the Kigluaik Mountains. 3/ The deposits described in the report have received the most attention because of their relative accessibility. These deposits are about 36 miles northwest of Nome and about 26 miles east of Teller (see fig. 1). The principal deposits are 2 to 3 miles from an arm of the Imuruk Basin, and about 27 miles by salt water from Teller. Most of the Imuruk Basin is shallow and does not exceed a fathom in depth at distances as much as a mile from shore. Arrangements may be made at Teller to charter small boats for the trip to the graphite-bearing area.
The portion of the area between the Kigluaik Mountains and the Imuruk Basin (see fig. 2) is chiefly a gently-sloping alluvial fan, in which the larger creeks are intrenched from 10 to 30 feet near the mountain front.
The creek herein called Graphite Creek, the northeasternmost creek shown on figure 2, is about 2 miles southwest of the Cobblestone River. Ruby, Ptarmigan and Trail Creeks transect the mountain front in the order named, proceeding southwestward from Glacier Creep. Farther to the southwest, some of the smaller creeks are unnamed. The creek about 1.4 miles southwest of Trail Creek is herein called Christophosen Creek in order to have a convenient means of reference.
|Publication Subtype||USGS Numbered Series|
|Title||Graphite deposits on the north side of the Kigluaik Mountains, Seward Peninsula, Alaska|
|Series title||Open-File Report|
|Publisher||U.S. Geological Survey|
|Other Geospatial||Seward Peninsula|
|Google Analytic Metrics||Metrics page|