The Colorado River region and John Wesley Powell
- Document: Report (30.8 MB pdf)
- Chapter A : John Wesley Powell: Pioneer statesman of federal science: Chapter A in The Colorado River region and John Wesley Powell (Professional Paper 669)
- Chapter B : Stratified rocks of the Grand Canyon: Chapter B in The Colorado River region and John Wesley Powell (Professional Paper 669)
- Chapter C : Geologic history of the Colorado River: Chapter C in The Colorado River region and John Wesley Powell (Professional Paper 669)
- Chapter D : The rapids and the pools - Grand Canyon: Chapter D in The Colorado River region and John Wesley Powell (Professional Paper 669)
- Download citation as: RIS | Dublin Core
A century ago John Wesley Powell-teacher, scientist, and veteran of the Civil War-set out to explore the unknown reaches of the Colorado River. He emerged from the forbidding canyons with a compelling interest in the nature of the western lands and how they could be developed for the greatest benefit to the Nation. A man gifted with imagination, yet always tempered by the scientist's appreciation for facts, Powell became one of the country's most vigorous proponents for the orderly development of the public domain and the wise use of its natural resources.
Throughout his lifetime, Powell stood firm in his belief that science, as a sound basis for human progress, should serve all the people, and he played an important role in organizing and directing scientific activities of the U.S. Government. His zeal led to the establishment of the Geological Survey in the U.S. Department of the Interior and the Bureau of Ethnology in the Smithsonian Institution.
On this 100th Anniversary of the Powell Colorado River Expedition, the U.S. Department of the Interior, Smithsonian Institution, and National Geographic Society (which Powell helped to found) have joined many organizations and individuals to recall the works of this man ;and to examine anew the imprints of his mind. His prescient concepts for the Nation's programs concerning people and their environment have been enhanced through a century of national development.
|Publication Subtype||USGS Numbered Series|
|Title||The Colorado River region and John Wesley Powell|
|Series title||Professional Paper|
|Publisher||U.S. Government Printing Office|
|Publisher location||Washington, D.C.|
|Description||vii, 145 p.|
|Public Comments||A collection of papers honoring Powell on the 100th anniversary of his exploration of the Colorado River, 1869-1969|
|Other Geospatial||Colorado River|
|Google Analytic Metrics||Metrics page|