Overview for geologic field-trip guides to volcanoes of the Cascades Arc in northern California
- Document: Report (5.5 MB pdf)
- Scientific Investigations Report 2017-5022-K1 - Chapter K1: Geologic Field-Trip Guide to Medicine Lake Volcano, Northern California, Including Lava Beds National Monument
- Scientific Investigations Report 2017-5022-K2 - Chapter K2: Geologic Field-Trip Guide to the Lassen Segment of the Cascades Arc, Northern California
- Scientific Investigations Report 2017-5022-K3 - Chapter K3: Geologic Field-Trip Guide to Mount Shasta Volcano, Northern California
- Larger Work: This publication is Chapter K of Field-trip guides to selected volcanoes and volcanic landscapes of the western United States
- Download citation as: RIS | Dublin Core
The California Cascades field trip is a loop beginning and ending in Portland, Oregon. The route of day 1 goes eastward across the Cascades just south of Mount Hood, travels south along the east side of the Cascades for an overview of the central Oregon volcanoes (including Three Sisters and Newberry Volcano), and ends at Klamath Falls, Oregon. Day 2 and much of day 3 focus on Medicine Lake Volcano. The latter part of day 3 consists of a drive south across the Pit River into the Hat Creek Valley and then clockwise around Lassen Volcanic Center to the town of Chester, California. Day 4 goes from south to north across Lassen Volcanic Center, ending at Burney, California. Day 5 and the first part of day 6 follow a clockwise route around Mount Shasta. The trip returns to Portland on the latter part of day 6, west of the Cascades through the Klamath Mountains and the Willamette Valley.
Each of the three sections of this guidebook addresses one of the major volcanic regions: Lassen Volcanic Center (a volcanic field that spans the volcanic arc), Mount Shasta (a fore-arc stratocone), and Medicine Lake Volcano (a rear-arc, shield-shaped edifice). Each section of the guide provides (1) an overview of the extensive field and laboratory studies, (2) an introduction to the literature, and (3) directions to the most important and accessible field localities. The field-trip sections contain far more stops than can possibly be visited in the actual 6-day 2017 IAVCEI excursion from Portland. We have included extra stops in order to provide a field-trip guide that will have lasting utility for those who may have more time or may want to emphasize one particular volcanic area.
Muffler, L.J.P., Donnelly-Nolan, J.M., Grove, T.L., Clynne, M.A., Christiansen, R.L., Calvert, A.T., and Ryan-Davis, J., 2017, Overview for geologic field-trip guides to volcanoes of the Cascades Arc in Northern California: U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Report 2017–5022–K, 6 p., https://doi.org/10.3133/sir20175022K.
ISSN: 2328-0328 (online)
Table of Contents
- Contributing Authors
- The 2017 IAVCEI Field Trip
- Geological Overview
- References Cited
|USGS Numbered Series
|Overview for geologic field-trip guides to volcanoes of the Cascades Arc in northern California
|Scientific Investigations Report
|U.S. Geological Survey
|Volcano Science Center
|viii, 6 p.
|Larger Work Type
|Larger Work Subtype
|USGS Numbered Series
|Larger Work Title
|Field-trip guides to selected volcanoes and volcanic landscapes of the western United States (Scientific Investigation Report 2017–5022)
|Cascades Volcanic Arc
|Online Only (Y/N)
|Google Analytic Metrics