The following references discuss shoreline change pertaining to the states in the Gulf of Mexico or methods for investigating shoreline change. They are all cited in our full Gulf of Mexico report, National Assessment of Shoreline Change: Part 1, Historical Shoreline Changes and Associated Coastal Land Loss Along the U.S. Gulf of Mexico (USGS Open File Report 2004-1043).
A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z
- Anders, F.J., and Byrnes, M.R., 1991, Accuracy of shoreline change rates as determined from maps and aerial photographs: Shore and Beach, v. 59, p. 17-26.
- Barnard, P.L., 1998. Historical morphodynamics of inlet channels, west-central Florida. MS Thesis, University of South Florida, Tampa.
- Barton, C.C., Dismukes, J.S., and Morton, R.A., 2003, Complexity analysis of the change in shoreline position at Duck, NC: Proceedings Coastal Sediments '03, 7p.
- Boone, P.A., 1973, Depositional systems of the Alabama, Mississippi, and western Florida coastal zone: Transactions Gulf Coast Association of Geological Societies, v. 23, p. 266-277.
- Bretschneider, C.L., 1954, Field investigation of wave energy loss of shallow water ocean waves: Beach Erosion Board Technical Memorandum No. 46, 21p.
- Byrnes, M.R., McBride, R.A., Penland, S., Hiland, M.W., and Westphal, K.A., 1991, Historical changes in shoreline position along the Mississippi Sound barrier islands: Proceedings Gulf Coast Section SEPM Twelfth Annual Research Conference, p. 43-55.
- Canis, W.F., Pilkey, O.H., Jr., Neal, W.J., Pilkey, O.H., Sr., Martin, D., and Belknap, D. F., 1985, Living with the Alabama-Mississippi shore: Duke University Press, Durham, N.C., 215p.
- Clark, R., 1986, The impact of Hurricane Elena and tropical storm Juan on coastal construction in Florida: Florida Department of Natural Resources, Division of Beaches and Shores, Report 85-3, 140p.
- Clark, R., 1990, Coastal land loss in Florida: Transactions Gulf Coast Association of Geological Societies, v. 40, p. 117.
- Clark, R., 1991, Beach conditions in Florida: Florida Department of Natural Resources, Division of Beaches and Shores, Technical Memorandum 89-1, 200p.
- Coastal Erosion Subcommittee, 1996, Historical shoreline change in the northern Gulf of Mexico: U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Gulf of Mexico Program, map scale 1:2,000,000.
- Crowell, M., and Leatherman, S.P., eds., 1999, Coastal erosion mapping and management: Journal of Coastal Research, Special Issue 28, 196p.
- Crowell, M., Douglas, B.C., and Leatherman, S.P., 1997, On forecasting future U.S. shoreline positions: A test of algorithms: Journal of Coastal Research, v. 13, p. 1245-1255.
- Crowell, M., Leatherman, S.P., and Buckley, M.K., 1991, Historical shoreline change; Error analysis and mapping accuracy: Journal of Coastal Research, v. 7, p. 839-852.
- Davis, R.A., 1994, Barriers of the Florida Gulf peninsula, in Davis, R.A., ed., Geology of Holocene Barrier Islands: Springer-Verlag, Berlin, p. 167-205.
- Davis, R.A., Hine, A.C., and Belknap, D.F., eds., 1985, Geology of the barrier island and marsh-dominated coast, west-central Florida: Geological Society of America, Annual Meeting Field Trip Guidebook, 119 p.
- Davis, R.A., Jr., and Gibeaut, J.C., 1990. Historical morphodynamics of inlets in Florida, Models for coastal zone planning. Sea Grant College Technical Paper 55, 81p.
- Dean, R.G., and O'Brian, M.P., 1987, Florida's west coast inlets: Shoreline effects and recommended action: Coastal and Oceanographic Engineering Department, University of Florida, Rept. 87/016, 100p.
- Dean, J.L., and Pope, J., 1987, The Redington Shores breakwater project: initial response: Coastal Sediments '87, American Society of Civil Engineers, v. 2, p. 1369-1384.
- Dean, R.G., Cheng, J., and Malakar, S.B., 1998, Characteristics of the shoreline change along the sandy beaches of the state of Florida: An atlas: Florida Sea Grant Report UFL/COEL-98/015, variable pagination.
- De Beaumont, L.E., 1845, Lecons de geologie practique: Septieme lecon, Bertrand Paris, p. 221-252.
- Dixon, K.L., and Pilkey, O.H., 1991, Summary of beach replenishment on the U.S. Gulf of Mexico shoreline: Journal of Coastal Research, v. 7, p. 249-256.
- Dolan, R., Anders, F., and Kimball, S., 1985, Coastal erosion and accretion, in National Atlas of the United Sates of America: U.S. Geological Survey, Reston, Va.
- Douglas, B.C., and Crowell, M., 2000, Long-term shoreline position prediction and error propagation: Journal of Coastal Research, v. 16, p. 145-152.
- Doyle, L.J., Sharma, D.C., Hine, A.C., Pilkey, O.H., Jr., Neal, W.J., Pilkey, O.H., Sr., Martin, D., Belknap, D.F., 1984, Living with the West Florida shore: Duke University Press, Durham, N.C., 222p.
- Gabrysch, R.K., 1984, Ground-water withdrawals and land-surface subsidence in the Houston-Galveston region, Texas: Texas Department of Water Resources Report 287, 64p.
- Gilbert, G.K., 1885, The topographic features of lake shores: U.S. Geological Survey 5th Annual Rept., p. 69-123.
- Gould, H.R., and McFarlan, E., Jr., 1959, Geologic history of the chenier plain southwestern Louisiana: Transactions Gulf Coast Association of Geological Societies, v. 9, p. 261-270.
- Gornitz, V., and Lebedeff, S., 1987, Global sea level changes during the last century, in Nummedal, D., Pilkey, O. H., and Howard, J. D., eds., Sea-level fluctuation and coastal evolution: Society of Economic Paleontologists and Mineralogists, Special Publication 41, p. 3-16.
- Hardin, J.D., Sapp, C.D., Emplaincourt, J.L., and Richter, K.E., 1976, Shoreline and bathymetric changes in the coastal area of Alabama: Geological Survey of Alabama, Information Series 50, 123 p.
- The Heinz Center, 2000, Evaluation of erosion hazards: The H. John Heinz III Center for Science, Economics and the Environment, Washington, D.C., 203p.
- Hicks, S.D., 1968, Long-period variations in secular sea level trends; Shore and Beach, v. 36, p. 32-36.
- Hine, A.C., and Belknap, D.F., 1986, recent geologic history and modern sedimentary processes of the Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus County coastline, West Central Florida: Florida Sea Grant, Technical Report No. 79, 166 p.
- Holdahl, S.R., and Morrison, N.L., 1974, Regional investigations of vertical crustal movements in the U.S using precise relevelings and mareograph data: Tectonophysics, v. 23, p. 373-390.
- Hoyt, J.H., 1967, Barrier island formation: Geological Society of America Bulletin, v. 78. p. 1125-1135.
- Jurkowski, G., Ni, J., and Brown, L., 1984, Modern uparching of the Gulf Coastal plain: Journal of Geophysical Research, v. 89, p. 6247-6255.
- Krabill, W., Wright, C., Swift, R., Frederick, E., Manizade, S., Yungel, J., Martin, C., Sonntag, J., Duffy, M., Hulslander, W., and Brock, J., 2000. Airborne laser mapping of Assateague National Seashore Beach. Photogrammetric Engineering & Remote Sensing, v. 66, p. 65-71.
- Lyles, S.D., Hickman L.E., Jr., Debaugh, H.A., Jr., 1988, Sea-level variations for the United States 1855-1986: U.S. Department of Commerce, NOAA-NOS, Rockville Md., 182p.
- McBride, R.A., Penland, S., Hiland, M.W., Williams, S.J., Westphal, K.A., Jaffee, B.E., and Sallenger, A.H., 1992, Analysis of barrier shoreline change in Louisiana from 1853 to 1989, in Williams, S.J., Penland, S., and Sallenger, A.H., eds., Atlas of shoreline changes in Louisiana from 1853 to 1989: U.S. Geological Survey Miscellaneous Investigation Series I-2150-A, p. 36-97.
- McGee, W.D., 1890, Encroachments of the sea: The Forum, v. 9, p. 437-449.
- Moore, L. J., 2000, Shoreline mapping techniques: Journal of Coastal Research, v. 16, p. 111-124
- Moore, W.S., 1982, Late Pleistocene sea-level history, in Ivanovitch, M., and Harmon, R.S., eds., Uranium series disequilibrium: applications to environmental problems: Oxford, Claredon, p. 481-506.
- Morgan, J.P., and Larimore, P.B., 1957, Changes in the Louisiana shoreline: Gulf Coast Association of Geological Societies Transactions, v.
7, p. 303-310.
- Morton, R.A., 1976, Effects of Hurricane Eloise on beach and coastal structures, Florida Panhandle: Geology, v. 4, p. 277-280.
- Morton, R.A., 1977a, Historical shoreline changes and their causes, Texas Gulf Coast: Gulf Coast Association of Geological Societies
Transactions, v. 27, p.352-364.
- Morton, R.A., 1977b, Shoreline changes at jettied inlets, Texas Gulf Coast: Coastal Sediments '77, American Society of Civil Engineers, p. 267-286.
- Morton, R.A., 1979, Temporal and spatial variations in shoreline changes, Texas Gulf Coast: Journal of Sedimentary Petrology, v. 49, p. 1101-1111.
- Morton, R.A., 1988, Interactions of storms, seawalls and beaches of the Texas coast, in Kraus, N.C., and Pilkey, O.H., Effects of seawalls on the beach: Journal of Coastal Research, Special Issue 4, p. 113-134.
- Morton, R.A., 1991, Accurate shoreline mapping: past, present, and future: American Society of Civil Engineers, Coastal Sediments '91, v. 1, p. 997-1010.
- Morton, R.A., 1994, Texas Barriers, in Davis, R.A., ed., Geology of Holocene Barrier Islands: Springer-Verlag, Berlin, p. 75-114.
- Morton, R.A., 1996, Geoindicators of coastal wetlands and shorelines, in Berger, A.R., and Iams, W.J., eds., Geoindicators: Assessing rapid environmental changes in earth systems: A.A. Balkema, Rotterdam, p. 207-230.
- Morton, R.A., 1997, Gulf shoreline movement between Sabine Pass and the Brazos River, Texas: 1974-1996: Univ. of Texas Austin, Bureau of Economic Geology Geological Circular 97-3, 46p.
- Morton, R.A., 2002, Factors controlling storm impacts on coastal barriers and beaches A preliminary basis for real-time forecasting: Journal of Coastal Research, v. 18, p. 486-501.
- Morton, R.A., and Paine, J.G., 1990, Coastal land loss in Texas - An overview: Transactions Gulf Coast Association of Geological Societies, v. 40, p. 625-634.
- Morton, R.A., Buster, N.A., and Krohn, M.D., 2002, Subsurface controls on historical subsidence rates and associated wetland loss in southcentral Louisiana: Transactions Gulf Coast Association of Geological Societies, v. 52, p. 767-778.
- Morton, R.A., and Speed, F.M., 1998, Evaluation of shorelines and legal boundaries controlled by water levels on sandy beaches: Journal of Coastal Research, v. 14, p. 1373-1384.
- Otvos, E.G., 1979, Barrier island evolution and history of migration, north central Gulf Coast, in Leatherman, S.P. ed., Barrier islands from the Gulf of St. Lawrence to the Gulf of Mexico: Academic Press, New York, p. 291-319.
- Paine, J.G., and Morton, R.A., 1989, Shoreline and vegetation line movement, Texas Gulf Coast, 1974-1982: The University of Texas at Austin, Bureau of Economic Geology, Geological Circular 89-1, 50p.
- Pajak, M.J., and Leatherman, S.P., 2002, The high water line as shoreline indicator: Journal of Coastal Research, v. 18, p. 329-337.
- Penland, S., Roberts, H.H., Williams, S.J., Sallenger, A.H., Cahoon, D.R., Davis, D.W., and Groat, C.G., 1990 Coastal land loss in Louisiana: Transactions Gulf Coast Association of Geological Societies, v. 40, p. 685-699.
- Penland, S., Wayne, L., Britsch, L.D., Williams, S.J., Beall, A.D., and Caridas, V., 2000, Process Classification of Coastal Land Loss between 1932 and 1990 in the Mississippi River Delta Plain, Southeastern Louisiana: USGS Open-file Report 00-418.
- Price, W.A., 1953, Shorelines and coasts of the Gulf of Mexico: U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Fishery Bulletin No. 89, p. 39-65.
- Roberts, H.H., Bailey, A., and Kuecher, G.J., 1994, Subsidence in the Mississippi River delta Important influences of valley filling by cyclic deposition, primary consolidation phenomena, and early diagenesis: Gulf Coast Association of Geological Societies Transactions, v. 44, p. 619-629.
- Rucker, J.B., and Snowden, J.O., 1988, Recent morphological changes at Dog Key Pass, Mississippi: The formation and disappearance of The Isle of Caprice: Gulf Coast Association of Geological Societies Transactions, v. 38, p. 343-349.
- Ruggiero, P., Kaminsky, G.M., and Gelfenbaum, G., 2003, Linking proxy-based and datum-based shorelines on a high-energy coastline: Implications for shoreline change analyses: Journal of Coastal Research Special Issue 38, p. 57-82.
- Sallenger, A.H., Krabill, W., Swift, R., Brock, J., List, J., Hansen, M., Holman, R.A., Manizade, S., Sontag, J., Meredith, A., Morgan, K., Yunkel, J.K., Frederick, E. and Stockdon, H., 2003. Evaluation of airborne scanning lidar for coastal change applications: Journal of Coastal Research, v.19, p. 125-133.
- Sanchez, T.A., and Douglass, S.L., 1994. Alabama shoreline change rates: 1970-1993: University of South Alabama College of Engineering Report 94-1.
- Schwartz, M.L., 1971, The multiple causality of barrier islands: Journal of Geology, v. 79, p. 91-94.
- Shalowitz, A.L., 1964, Shore and sea boundaries. Publication 10-1, U.S. Department of Commerce, Washington, DC, 749p.
- Simpson, R.H., and Lawrence, M.B., 1971, Atlantic hurricane frequencies along the U.S. coastline: National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, NOAA Technical Memorandum NWS SR-581, 15p.
- Smith, E., 1990, Regimes contributory to progressive loss of Alabama coastal shoreline and wetlands: Transactions Gulf Coast Association of Geological Societies, v. 40, p. 793-796.
- Stauble, D.K., and Brumbaugh, R.W., 2003, An assessment of the nation's shorelines, USA: Shore and Beach, v. 71, p. 11-18.
- Stockdon, H.F., Sallenger, A.H., List, J.H. and Holman, R.A., 2002, Estimation of shoreline position and change from airborne topographic lidar data. Journal of Coastal Research, v. 18, p. 502-513.
- Swanson, R.L., and Thurlow, C.L., 1973, Recent subsidence rates along the Texas and Louisiana coasts as determined from tide measurements: Journal of Geophysical Research, v. 78, 2665-2671.
- Tanner, W.F., 1960, Florida coastal classification: Transactions Gulf Coast Association of Geological Societies, v. 10, p. 259-265.
- Tanner, W.F., 1975, Historical beach changes, Florida's Big Bend Coast: Transactions Gulf Coast Association of Geological Societies, v. 25, p. 379-381.
- Thieler, E.R., and Danforth, W.W., 1994, Historical shoreline mapping (1). Improving techniques and reducing positioning errors: Journal of Coastal Research, v. 10, p. 549-563.
- Trembanis, A.C., and Pilkey, O.H., 1998, Summary of beach nourishment along the U.S. Gulf of Mexico shoreline: Journal of Coastal Research, v. 14, p. 407-417.
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, 1971, National shoreline study: Washington, D.C.
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, 1983, Galveston County shore erosion study-feasibility report and environmental impact statement: Gulf shoreline study site report, v. 2, Galveston District Corps of Engineers, 44p.
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, 1984, Beach erosion control project review study and environmental impact statement for Pinellas County, Florida: U. S. Army Engineer Jacksonville District, various pagination.
- Waller, T.H., and Malbrough, L.P., 1976, Temporal changes in the offshore islands of Mississippi: Mississippi State University Water Resources Institute, 109 p.
- White, W.A., Morton, R.A., Kerr, R.S., Kuenzi, W.D., and Brogden, W.B., 1978, Land and water resources, historical changes, and dune criticality, Mustang and North Padre Islands, Texas: The University of Texas at Austin, Bureau of Economic Geology Report of Investigations No. 92, 46p.