Restoration - Restoration of the Lake Pontchartrain Basin Contributors: Penland, Maygarden, Lake Pontchartrain Basin Foundation
More than 1.5 million citizens live in the LPB. According to a recent survey, many residents are unaware of the importance of some of the greatest environmental problems within the Basin, such as sewage disposal. Many residents do not fully understand the problems facing the Basin, nor do they recognize that their actions may contribute to these pollution problems. The survey also found that people have a general concern for protecting environmental quality, yet they are unsure about effective ways to solve problems or how they can participate in the process. The survey also shows that those people who participate in outdoor activities are more likely to advocate tougher measures for protecting environmental quality.
|Figure 14: Students learn about the Lake Pontchartrain Basin through field trips.
|Figure 15: A Guide to theWetlands of the Lake Pontchartrain Basin (Maygarden and Frierson, 2000).
To increase public awareness, LPBF developed an extensive education program which has:
- Provided outreach and environmental education programs for hundreds of thousands of students, teachers and citizens in the Basin. Activities have included classroom presentations, teacher workshops, student water quality monitoring, litter pick-ups and student and adult field trips (Figure 14).
- Developed and produced a curriculum guide and video for Basin educators and responded to requests from students, teachers and the public for environmental information.
- Developed and produced A Guide to the Wetlands of the Lake Pontchartrain Basin (Figure 15).
- Hosted annual "Back to the Beach" Lake awareness festival.
- Coordinated efforts of thousands of volunteers who contribute tens of thousands of hours to help SAVE OUR LAKE.
- Developed the web site http://www.saveourlake.org used by Basin residents and communities worldwide to obtain information about issues and activities related to Lake Pontchartrain.
« Previous | Next »